9.04.2009

Graduation Celebration

Well, you should all know by now that Deborah is incredible! Here is another example of her awesomeness: Last Friday, I finished my last seminary class! After 5 busy years, Deborah wanted to do something special for me as a celebration. She went straight to the sweetspot of my heart: FOOD!
I am a real food snob - if it bothers you, blame my parents because they raised me to be that way. I grew up eating at some of the best restaurants in the southeast. So, now, my passion for good food and the culinary arts are still as strong as ever. Here in Athens, we have some really wonderful restaurants, with 5 and 10 being the premier restaurant in this city. Hugh Acheson is the head chef there, and he is AMAZING. He won best new chef from Food and Wine among other things.
We have eaten at 5 and 10 a few times to celebrate our anniversary, and each time it gets better. I was able to meet Hugh at Deborah's cousins wedding two summers ago when he catered the reception - it was a great experience.
So, Deborah pulled off a big surprise and had Hugh Acheson come to our house last night and cook for us!!!!!!!!! When he came to the door, I was so confused to see Hugh with a bunch on cooking supplies! He spent 2 hours in my kitchen, using my cookware, cleaning all of the dishes he used, serving us at the table, and talking our heads off about the restaurant business, cooking secrets, and funny stories about our kids.
It was probably the coolest thing that anyone has ever done for me! I was so incredibly blessed, and I believe that I had a perma-smile on my face the whole night. I woke up this morning still thinking about the experience. Below is what was on the menu:
- Spinach salad with grilled pear, maytag blue cheese, walnuts, and shallot-thyme vinaigrette
- Tomato and bread soup with homemade pimento cheese grilled cheese sandwich
- Poached beef eye of ribeye with shitake mushroom duxelle, broccoli gratin, and simple jus
- Peach cobbler with homemade peach ice cream







6 comments:

Bryan, Lara, and Ella said...

Ok, i just checked this and am permasmiling!! what an awesome surprise!!! DEBORAH IS THE GREATEST!!!!!!

Micah and Shireen said...

WOW! Deborah knows you SO well! Congrats!

Erika said...

that is SO cool!!! how did she even pull that off??

Kristi said...

Way to go, Debs!!!

Mary Beth said...

now that is IMPRESSIVE

JMS said...

Your wife is awesome! Props to her.

Now...where can I find me one?? :)